Tuesday, August 9, 2016

When I found out that the computer has a soul

Lei feng's network (search for "Lei feng's network", public interest) Note: this article is from the "teacher Tung in Silicon Valley", the original author: Max Levchin, "When I Learned that Computers Have Soul", translator: late autumn.

When I found out that the computer has a soul

(via:fanpop.com)

When I was 14 years old, in 1989, I at the University of Kiev School of language (a two-year professional and technical colleges) high-level language communication laboratory "work", when people call the Studio KPTS. I call it "work" is because the management of the lab one can make in my spare time using a variety of Soviet-bloc-made computer equipment (mostly East and Russia of fake Intel and Zilog chips), in Exchange I need help writing the device code.

Even though there are many very advanced hardware (especially for late 80 's under the Soviet rule of Ukraine), the laboratory had no actual software developers, so that by a very enthusiastic young hackers hacked the tracker or frequency converter is a very easy thing. Of course, for me "working" and "amateur" did not make any difference--I thought by writing code. I would go to play optical fiber splicing, but that's another story.

In the spring, one of my programming friends passing by our computer room and showed me a "sample". In the computer room with 6 new ES-1842s--generic 80286XT knockoff of the Soviet Union (EGA color also has incredible! )。 "Sample" is usually a well designed piece of code used to display something unusual or unexpected features of the computer hardware or programming used to display its creator. I don't know where my friend got this stuff from, but clearly it was impossible that he can take care of it. DKNY iPhone 6 Case

Just hit Enter he sent instructions to the command line, I was, I heard crackling but is definitely electronic tone of voice scared, I knew the first time small computer speaker emits a Husky human language. Although I am a pretty universal programmer, but I did not notice you can adjust pulse realize vocals, and there is no thought that computers could make more interesting than tapping the keyboard sounds.

Speakers are making a crackling sound lasted only a few seconds, repeat "forever ... ... Forever ... ... You are stuck in my heart ... ... "screen rotation in two lines of ASCII encoding of WordArt, chaotic slide across the screen the cursor is looming, Rainbow-shaped characters emerge and fade out, to convey greetings from author of the remote programming.

"Computers are wonderful" idea just like 6 bytes of vibration, caused waves in my heart, after changing my life forever. I know that I am ever since, and I only hope that I used to do such amazing things all the time. Most importantly, I want to know who is this girl sings the magic song, although I remember the lyrics.

A few years later, when my family moved out of the Soviet Union, I politely from the hands of the Moscow customs "back" wooden treasure chest with three-inch disks, but I took that the disc burned with my nerd-like vows of "samples" disks were confiscated.

I still don't know the identity of the singing ladies, do not know what on Earth is always in her heart. Time flies, stirring curiosity gradually faded, but that only one row is repeated samples always remind me how she walked into my world. Though network became public knowledge base, I cannot enter her name in Google, and might be a good burst bubble will always be more or less stop me further information on searching for her.

Nearly 30 years later, when I walked into a coffee shop in San Francisco's financial district, I heard her again. Without any warning, and there is no notice, I just walked in and ordered a cup of mediocre drinks, and then she came, as she sings, she will always stay in my heart, like 30 days does not flow. I didn't waste time on thinking of the past, but went straight to the Shazam (music radar), six taps, the answer was unveiled: the singer Aretha Franklin, the song is the name I pray.

On Spotify has played several versions, including the original version of Dionne Warwick1967, and in the next 24 hours, I was immersed in the old wallow in the feelings. There is no doubt that, my Spotify dynamic of two people are surprised that I hear is a monophonic song, but this song and I still have to catch up.

In addition, I know it's not that song. Alternatively, this song was right, but played version is not--although I heard there are many versions of this, but I still know that it's not that song. The magic woman sings the same lyrics, but I know she will not promote the spirit of friendship, as she is not "the Queen of soul." DKNY iPhone case

So, after a day when I was driving it (I know I did wrong), between the three red lights, looked at this again, I used my cell phone song. After two searches, Google told me that my memories rippled waves of the name atom.exe, a once a teenage hacker ' summer plans – I wanted to write a piece of code. I, of course, after this program has written numerous similar programs, but this is the first time I found it, though some of it long ago.

DKNY iPhone case

This on like is recalled I of juvenile time as, except this I really of is literally meaning Shang of "recalled": happy of play up has phone, through 4G network transfer, near perfect of heavy business has text mode of video, and Flash of cursor and other of things, also has that paragraph intermittent of audio, eventually I found that paragraph audio is initially version of YouTube video, from one collection who of computer Shang cut recorded down of. In this audio recording, in these comments, and she has been in. Singer name: Maureen Walsh, was included in the first edition disc Bomb The Bass 1988 Dionne song (or Aretha's Hymn).

Computer magic, I intend to search for Maureen's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment